How to make a built-in aquarium
If the room has a large well-kept aquarium, it is undoubtedly one of the most noticeable elements of the interior. Wherever it is installed, it will be interesting and pleasant for guests and hosts to observe the life of aquatic inhabitants in this small world.
The problem is that there is often no free space for installing such a voluminous object. However, a solution has long been found: designers offer to make aquariums built-in. It may seem that the implementation of such a technique will require a lot of time and money, but preliminary calculations will help to verify the opposite.
The content of the article:
- Where can I build the aquarium?
- Things to remember
- How to integrate a glass container into a wall yourself
Where can I build the aquarium?
Most often, aquariums are built into different types of furniture. You can replace the cabinet (sofa or table) with a new one, with a built-in glass tank. It is not necessary to choose ready-made solutions, many entrepreneurs can make furniture with such a capacity to order. It is important to remember that a 100-liter aquarium filled with water and decorations weighs all 150 kg.
Another place where in some cases the aquarium fits well is the windowsill. This placement increases the safety of openings (especially for children) if the windows are located close to the floor. In fact, the windowsill will be raised by the aquarium to an acceptable and safe height. But it is necessary to close the back wall of the container with dense material so that the sun does not heat the water.
The most popular place to build an aquarium is the wall, although this option is not suitable for all homeowners. For example, if you live in a panel house, then it is not recommended to break partitions for embedding an aquarium. The simplest and most logical option for placing the aquarium is in the interior wall. This solution will allow you to admire the water world from several rooms at once.
Things to remember
If housing is just being built or finished, it will be easier to create a place for the built-in aquarium. It is necessary to take care of an acceptable aquarium height: if it is more than 60 cm, it will be inconvenient to reach the bottom with your hands during maintenance.
Below are the basic principles that it is advisable to adhere to when building an integrated aquarium.
- The shape of the container is better to choose a rectangular one.
- Be sure to place a level pad of polyurethane or thick foam under the aquarium.
- Side windows are acceptable to use both flat and curved.
- Plexiglass can quickly become cloudy, so make a choice in favor of a special high-quality non-tempered glass with increased transparency.
- Near the opening, a place should be provided for additional equipment: an air compressor, an external water filter, a lighting system, etc.
Tall aquariums are more susceptible to mechanical damage: large flat glass, which is pressurized by water, can easily be broken. Sometimes, laminated glass is used to produce these tanks, which adversely affects transparency.
How to integrate a glass container into a wall yourself
There are two options:
- Make an opening in the existing wall, if it is not bearing;
- Build a new partition with space for the aquarium.
The wall in a modern house made of ceramic blocks allows you to cut out the necessary space without demolition. This work may seem complicated, but using modern tools can be done in a few hours.
Remember to comply with the following mandatory requirements:
- The plane on which you plan to install the aquarium must be strictly horizontal.
- It is necessary to bring electricity to a niche or opening.
- Leave 15-20 cm of space for maintenance above the top of the aquarium.
- Trim the side walls of the opening with soft material.
It must be borne in mind that the aquarium will have to be cleaned regularly, and if it is mounted on a wall, cleaning in a pond will become more time-consuming. If the shape of the aquarium is not standard, or the dimensions are large, it is better to glue it right at the installation site using special silicone sealants.
When planning to create your own underwater world, you must definitely calculate in advance how many liters of water will be in the aquarium. The flora and fauna of your reservoir must provide conditions that are close to natural.
The most popular place to build an aquarium is the interior wall.